Skip to main content
U.S. flag

This is an original und secure website

Wakefield

Wakefield

  •   State: 
    Rhode Island
      County: 
    Washington County
      City: 
    Wakefield
      County FIPS: 
    44009
      Coordinates: 
    41°26′14″N 71°30′05″W
      Elevation: 
    7 ft
  •   Latitude: 
    41,4379
      Longitude: 
    -71,4989
      Dman name cbsa: 
    Providence-Warwick, RI-MA
      Timezone: 
    Eastern Standard Time (EST) UTC-5:00; Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) UTC-4:00
      ZIP codes: 
    02879
    02880
      GMAP: 

    Wakefield, Washington County, Rhode Island, United States

  •   Population: 
    114,428
      Unemployment rate: 
    9.30%

Wakefield is a village in the town of South Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States. It is part of the U.S. Census-designated place identified as Wakefield-Peacedale. Wakefield was a focus for settlement due to its location on the Saugatucket River and the old Post Road, which was laid out early in the 18th century. The Wakefield Historic District includes 53 properties over an area of 400 acres (160 ha) and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. The Washington County Courthouse has been in Wakefield since 1991, and the Sheriff's Office which handles corrections is also in the village. The village's economy is driven by seasonal tourism, as the main central business district of South. Kingstown runs from Saugutucket River up to Old Tower Hill. The town of Wakefield has a population of 3,285, with the village of Peace Dale being the largest community in the area with 1,543 residents. The city of Providence has a total population of 2,816. The U.N. World Heritage Site is in Wakefields, a World War II-era building that dates back to the early 1800s. The site is now a bike trail called the William C. O'Neill Bike Path. The area is also home to the Narragansett Pier Railroad, which opened in 1876 and is now part of a bike path called the W.C. O’Neill Trail.

History

Wakefield is the primary city name, but also Narragansett, Peace Dale, S Kingstown, South Kingstown are acceptable city names or spellings, East Matunuck, Green Hill, Jerusalem, Matunuck on the other hand no longer accepted or obsolete and are no longer used as a designation. The official name is Wakefield. Wakefield was a focus for settlement due to its location on the Saugatucket River and the old Post Road. Settlement began in the early 18th century with establishment of a small mill. By 1895, Wakefield had a population of 1,543, and had begun to coalesce with the villages of Peace Dale and Rocky Brook, forming a roughly contiguous settlement with a total population of 3,285. The Wakefield Mill underwent several ownership changes and expansions in the 20th century. In 1903, it was sold to the Wakefield Woolen Company, which installed new looms and carding equipment for producing high-grade woolen fabrics. As of 1984, the village was considered the largest shopping area in South County. Beginning in the late 1950s, commercial activity in Wakefield migrated away from the central business district to new commercial areas on the periphery of the community. It is now a bike trail called the William C. O'Neill Bike Path. In 1877, the South Kingstown Town Hall was built in the village. A Roman Catholic priest was assigned to Wakefield in 1852 and the first Catholic church was built two years later. A carriage manufacturing operation was established in 1874, and in 1876 the Narragansett Pier Railroad started operation, with a station in Wakefields. The village's first hospital was started in a house in 1919, and a new South County Hospital building wasBuilt in 1925 on a 6-acre (2.4 ha) tract that formerly had been the town farm. It was sold again in 1922 and four more times between World War II and 1984.

Economy

Much of Wakefield's economy is driven by seasonal tourism. The main central business district of South Kingstown runs from the Saugutucket River up to Old Tower Hill. Wakefield is home to the U.S. Army's Wakefield Barracks, which was established in 1858. The U.N. World Heritage Site is located in Wakefield, Massachusetts, and is open to the public. The town's main tourist attraction is Old Towerhill, which is located on the edge of the town. The city is also home to Wakefield Airport, which opened in 1859 and is one of the oldest airports in the world. It is also the site of the world's busiest airport, with a capacity of more than 1.5 million passengers a year. It also has a number of heritage-listed buildings, including Wakefield Castle, which dates back to the 17th century. The Saugetucket River runs through the town, and the town's historic centre is located at the base of the hill, near the town centre. The area is also known as the "Wakefield of the East" because of its association with Wakefield Hall, a 17th-century landmark. The Wakefield River is a popular tourist destination, and runs through Wakefield and the nearby town of South Kingsbury. It was also the scene of the Battle of the Bulge, which took place in 1788. The village's main attraction is the historic town hall, which stands on what is now known as "Old Tower Hill" and was built in the 19th century as a result of its position at the top of a hill.

Arts and culture

Buildings in Wakefield listed on the National Register of Historic Places listings in Washington County, Rhode Island include Wakefield Baptist Church, Nathaniel C. Armstrong House, John H. Armstrong house, Hera Gallery, and Bell Block. Wakefield is home to the Wakefield Symphony Orchestra and Wakefield High School. The town is also home to Wakefield United Methodist Church, which dates back to the 17th century. The Wakefield School District was founded in 1808. The city's population was 2,000 in 1809. It has a population of 3,000 today, and a population growth rate of 1.5% to 3.7% in the last 20 years. It is the site of the Rhode Island State Museum, which was built in 1838. It was added to the U.S. National Register in 1973. The museum is located in the town of Wakefield, and has a collection of more than 1,000 works of art, including the "Wakefield School of Music" and the "Rhode Island School of Dance" It is located on the shores of the Narragansett Bay, near the town's waterfront, and is known as one of the oldest towns in Rhode Island. It also has a number of historic homes, many of which were built in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The village is known for its architecture, including several houses that are on the national register of historic places. The church was built by Nathaniel Armstrong, who was a member of the local community.

Education

Wakefield is part of the South Kingstown School District. Schools in Wakefield include South. Kingstown High School, Broad Rock Middle School, Curtis Corner Middle. School, Matunuck Elementary School, and Wakefield Elementary School. Wakefield is home to the Wakefield High School football team, which won the state championship in 2010. The team also won the New Hampshire state title in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. The school's football team is known as the Wakefields, after the town's founder, William Wakefield, who died in a car accident in 2007. The football team has won three state titles in its history, the most recent of which came in the 2010-11 season. The Wakefield high school football team won the State Championship in 2010-2011. The district has also won two state titles, in the 1980s and the 1990s, both in the state of New Hampshire. The high school has also been involved in two state championships, the first of which was in the 1990-91 season. It is also home to a number of high schools, including Wakefield Junior High, Wakefield Senior High, and the Wakeley High School for Girls, which was founded in the 1960s. The town also has one high school, Wakeley Junior High School. It was founded by William Wakeley, who was the founder of Wakeley Preparatory School in the 1950s. It has been home to Wakeley Senior High School since the 1970s, which is located in the town.

  • Wakefield's population in Washington County, Rhode Island of 1,893 residents in 1900 has increased 60,45-fold to 114,428 residents after 120 years, according to the official 2020 census.

Show cameras in area

Cameras in

throbber

Please wait while loading content

Please wait

Booking Offer

Booking.com

Other cities around Negaunee

Title Distance in miles Show on Map

Skyline of Wakefield

In 51 U.S. states are published

6008 Companies
1559 Counties
3438 Cities

The 5 newest Companies

Frank's Automotive

102 Cory Ave, Prescott, AZ 86303

LKC Automotive & Towing

184 E State Rd, Pleasant Grove, UT 84062

Bill's Auto Repair

339 NJ-31, Flemington, NJ 08822

Garcia Trinity Auto Inspection

6518 Airport Blvd, Houston, TX 77048

Raspi's British Imports

125 A Industry Ln #1, Forest Hill, MD 21050

Other Companies

Sweetwater Automotive

22382 Bulson Rd, Mount Vernon, WA 98274

Wilson's Auto Repair

1170 W Kaibab Ln #5, Flagstaff, AZ 86001

Altmann Repair LLC

1901 S Valley St, New Ulm, MN 56073

Pro Tire & Auto

3209 Wade Hampton Blvd #12, Taylors, SC 29687

MMM Automotive LLC

4007 Farrow Rd B, Columbia, SC 29203

Landscape of Rhode Island